atul's world is my space on the web, a window into my life. Enjoy.
04 February 2009
Top 20 NON-FOOTBALL random memories from "when I was younger" (in no particular order)
Never one to turn down a challenge... (you know who you are – the ones I’m talking to)...here's the non-football list......
1. Seeing the Niagara falls for the first time... awe-inspiring. the ride in the 'Maid of the Mist' boat to the bottom of the falls was the scariest thing I ever did at the time.
2. Lying down on a park bench next to an artificial lake close to Toronto and staring at a pristine blue sky with white fluffy clouds and wondering what it would be like to live in Canada for the rest of my life....
3. The bus rides to and from school on MS-15... with all my friends - mala, mandira, soma, sumant, gauri, anjali, jai, joe (sometimes), rohit, jaspreet, amar, divya etc etc.
4. Walking the streets with my cousin Rahul in Hongkong. Massive cultural assault on a relatively young mind.
5. Sitting on the wall in college and doing NOTHING all day long.... just talking about just about nothing or just about anything.
6. Lying down in a massive puddle on the road on my walk home from the bus stop after it had stopped raining and i was absolutely dry. (in response to a challenge)
7. Camping in a 3-man-tent in Samar's back garden when we were 10 years old and waking up in the morning and cooking our breakfast on a stove (sort of).
8. Mince and bread at st stephens 'cafe'.... crap college but the one good thing in their canteen!
9. Trekking up to Bhrigu Lake (near Manali) when I was in Class 6, youngest person to ever reach there at the time... 6 hour trek in knee-deep snow.
10. Christmas 1987. Dancing to Strangers in the Night. Enough said.
11. Sitting and gallivanting at various airports while traveling all over the world and watching all kinds of different people.... (even today, i feel a strange kind of comfort and ease at airports)
12. Straight out of Modern School and SRCC... feeling on top of the world.. selling vanaspati and refined oil to traders who could only speak hindi. Learnt a lot about business, trading and hospitality.
13. The first five minutes of my Class 12 Maths Board exam. Was the most bizarre paper ever set and most of us in the exam room exchanged bemused and confused looks with each other. Took me a good 15 minutes to collect my thoughts and get down to it. It was an abject lesson for me - how important it is to stay calm in a pressure situation and keep coming up with solutions.
14. Getting into IIMB on my second attempt. Arriving at the institute was an experience with a lot of importance in my life. It was something I had waited almost 3 years for. Sweet.
15. Chole Bhature at Chacha's in Kamla Nagar (K-Nags) before / during / after college... enough said.
16. Camp Blue Ridge, Blue Ridge Mountains, Georgia - 12 weeks of an incredible experience with American Kids and counsellors from all over the world.
17. Finding the "Best of Then Jericho" in the HMV Shop in London - On Sale. One of my favourite albums ever.
18. Checking my Class 12 Board results and finding my result was pathetic... my whole future life (or the lack of it) passed before my eyes).... Alok had a closer look and realised i had seen the next guy's result... my result was considerably better. Cant ever forget that sinking feeling.
19. Overnight train journeys to Central and Eastern UP for weekly visits to my Sales Territory, meeting all kinds of people in the interiors and experiencing the 'real' India.