atul's world is my space on the web, a window into my life. Enjoy.
08 February 2009
Top 30 random memories from "when I was younger" (in no particular order)
1. Playing football with Alok in our bedroom, most often getting my ass whipped by him.
2. Missing a goal from 1 yard out... mis-timed the shot and scooped it over the bar... worst miss EVER.
3. Trekking up to Bhrigu Lake (near Manali) when I was in Class 6, youngest person to ever reach there at the time... 6 hour trek in knee-deep snow.
4. Playing Foot-squash in college... probably the best and lasting memory of College!
5. The bus rides to and from school on MS-15... with all my friends - mala, mandira, soma, sumant, gauri, anjali, jai, joe (sometimes), rohit, jaspreet, amar, divya etc etc.
6. Watching the planes flying really really low over our football field in school.
7. Playing football instead of eating lunch during our 20 minute lunch break, it was almost like we went to school just for THAT 20 minutes.
8. The scambled eggs (bhurji, really), bread and nimbu paani in the SRCC canteen after football practise..... tasted like a gourmet meal after the hard work on the field!
9. Scoring the first penalty kick in a semi-final shootout against Govt School, Moti Bagh (the most feared team in Delhi). We went on to beat them and win the tournament..... if I close my eyes today I can still see the ball nestling in the net in the bottom left corner. Sheer joy.
10. Sitting on the wall in college and doing NOTHING all day long.... just talking about just about nothing or just about anything.
11. Camping in a 3-man-tent in Samar's back garden when we were 10 years old and waking up in the morning and cooking our breakfast on a stove (sort of).
12. Mince and bread at st stephens 'cafe'.... crap college but the one good thing in their canteen!
13. Sitting and gallivanting at various airports while traveling all over the world and watching all kinds of different people.... (even today, i feel a strange kind of comfort and ease at airports).
14. Arriving at Ambedkar Stadium to play against a random, non-descript school... finding that they were fielding 3 over-age players (looked like they were in their mid-twenties)... lodging an official protest which was summarily shot down.... had to play the game.... BEAT THEM 4-0. we played out of our skin that afternoon...
15. Chole Bhature at Chacha's in Kamla Nagar (K-Nags) before / during / after college... enough said.
16. Camp Blue Ridge, Blue Ridge Mountains, Georgia - 12 weeks of an incredible experience with American Kids and counsellors from all over the world.
17. Winning the Youth Review Football tournament playing for school in 1988... well against the odds... beating 2 of the top teams in Delhi who were massively favoured against us.
18. Scoring the winning and solitary goal in the Sarthak tournament final in Ambedkar Stadium in 1988.
19. Missing a penalty kick in the shooutout in a school tournament (Jatin Bedi memorial, i think) and pulling my own shorts down in disgust (fortunately, my t shirt was long enough!).
20. Checking my Class 12 Board results and finding my result was pathetic... my whole future life (or the lack of it) passed before my eyes).... Alok had a closer look and realised i had seen the next guy's result... my result was considerably better. Cant ever forget that sinking feeling.
21. Playing football in the rain. Simple as that.
22. Going to watch India-Australia at ferozshah kotla in Delhi during the 1987 Cricket World Cup.
23. Seeing the Niagara falls for the first time... awe-inspiring. the ride in the 'Maid of the Mist' boat to the best of the falls was the scariest thing I ever did at the time.
24. Lying down on a park bench next to an artificial lake close to Toronto and staring at a pristine blue sky with white fluffy clouds and wondering what it would be like to live in Canada for the rest of my life....
25. Walking the streets with my cousin Rahul in Hongkong. Massive cultural assault on a relatively young mind.
26. Lying down in a massive puddle on the road on my walk home from the bus stop after it had stopped raining and i was absolutely dry. (in response to a challenge)
27. Christmas 1987. Dancing to Strangers in the Night. Enough said.
28. Straight out of Modern School and SRCC... feeling on top of the world.. selling vanaspati and refined oil to traders who could only speak hindi. Learnt a lot about business, trading and hospitality.
29. The first five minutes of my Class 12 Maths Board exam. Was the most bizarre paper ever set and most of us in the exam room exchanged bemused and confused looks with each other. Took me a good 15 minutes to collect my thoughts and get down to it. It was an abject lesson for me - how important it is to stay calm in a pressure situation and keep coming up with solutions.
30. Getting into IIMB on my second attempt. Arriving at the institute was an experience with a lot of importance in my life. It was something I had waited almost 3 years for. Sweet.